Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Altomania

First of all: I'm pretty fond of alts. Secondly: there are very few classes I don't find fascinating. Third: I have trouble focusing on one thing over long periods of time, AND I'm a student with a part-time job in a bookstore. The result? I have alts spread around on a lot of servers, ranging from the lvl 10 something with every heirloom-piece available to that lvl 56 pally on an abandoned server. Every once in a while, I try my hands at a long-forgotten class, and it's always...interesting.

Today I went to the first character I ever rolled: my lvl 64 night elf warrior. Hoooboy. I am VERY glad I have a friend who lives and breathes warrior, cause...well. I never knew much about warriors, even when she was my only character. It was my first try at a mmo and I would spend hours grinding odd stuff, but never really playing with people. One day, my roomie took a look at how I was playing and ended up doing the ever-so-dreaded facepalm, before giving me talk. A very long talk.*
Not long after that I rerolled priest on a pvp-server (and didn't look back very often), and I only logged on the warrior when I was really, really bored.

Anyway, so there I am, in the middle of Terokkar. I have no keybindings, no spec, and I'm somewhat confused by all my stats, not to mention the gear. I have a vague feeling that I might wanna get more hit-rating (How much does a warrior want anyway? I don't DO hit! I'm a HEALER! I know everything and then some about a priest's manaregen, but hitrating stumps me.) and I've got no clue if me having 1242 attackpower is considered good or sub-par.

Two hours later, I do have a spec and the keybindings are there. I'm dualwielding two two-handers and feeling rather kick-ass. Not even wearing a skirt, and lookitthat, that's PLATE on me! My boots are big and clunky and I could probably kick my foes to death as they look heavier than my entire book-collection put together, but goddamnit, those are COOL, kickass boots. Especially when you compare them to the little slippers my priest has to run around in.

The fact that I can charge something helps too. That HAS to be the coolest thing you can do, except the kitty-pounce.

I am, naturally, still smashing my buttons in blind panic, and I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing after the initial charge, but hot damn, this is fun. Warrior? Very underappreciated. Definately needs more playing. Definately. I'll be right back doing that after I check on that lvl 30-something rogue of mine, I'm feeling the need to sneak up on my foes...

*Five years later he still gives me long talks about this and that aspect of WoW, but these days they're a little less howtoplay101 and I usually have something to contribute.

No comments: