I spent this evening with some friends of mine, having dinner, watching "The Guild", etc. We discussed classes, raiding, and so on - as is common for friends who share a love for this game, I guess. My friend Barr talked a bit about his guild lacking healers. They're casualish, and most of them good people. And they run 10-mans. I've known some of them for ages. Kinda sounds like a good place to start getting this raiding-itch of mine scratched, does it not?
I've been wanting to transfer my horde-priest there as soon as factionchange is available in Europe, but that seems to still be a few weeks off. (Not to mention that she's a Crusader, and no way in HELL am I doing that grind for a third time.) It is more money than my current student-budget can afford (What with me just buying the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica and all, I mean..) at this moment too, so I decided to roll a low-level healer. If she doesn't hit 80, at least I have another alt to faff around on, right? Right!
They have enough druids and shamans. I have enough priests. That only left one class, which I half-way dreaded to even think about. Rumours about paladins being abysmally boring healers during the early WotLK had reached me (Or being yelled at me in my old healer-channel during raids, more like.) and I had never really warmed up to my old ret-paladin who stagnated on lvl 54. Granted, this was in vanilla, and I'm pretty sure most classes have changed a lot since then.
This is where my roommate comes into the picture. (I'm sure you were all wondering what he had to do with this.) He's suffering under the affliction of loving too many classes and never deciding 110% what to play, at least not for longer than a few months at a time. But if there's one guy with a good overview of each and every class, it's him. And since one of his most treasured characters IS a pally, I was pretty sure I'd get an answer I could trust out of him. Maybe then I could continue focusing on my pvp-grind on the priest, or maybe BG-leveling that rogue of mine. Maybe even get that last level on my druid?
And what does he do?
He tells me paladinhealing in pve these days can be challenging. Challenging. Interactive. If there's any better way for making wanna do something than dangling those words in front of me, I do not know what it is.*
So now I'm a lvl 5 draenei paladin. I've fuckall to do when killing mobs except press autoattack and then watch my character try to clobber owlkins to death with her absurdly large wooden hammer. I'm currently reading a book while slaughtering my way through the beginning area, and normally I'd be happy to log onto something else, but there's this tantalizing voice in the back of my mind going "Challenging. Interactive. " over and over again.
Another level. Only 14 levels left til my mount.
*Interestingly enough, this does not work on me when it comes to tanking. I have not and I doubt I will ever seriously play a tank. At all. Ever. In any game.
Matt’s Notebook: Midnight Falls Over!
3 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment